Today we are joined by Jewels Ferris, a broker with DLC as well as Scott’s business partner. Jewels joins us today to discuss process, prospecting, and how she went from being a brand-new broker to the top 2% in her company.
Timestamped Show Notes
(click the timestamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[3:03] How did you get into the mortgage business?
- I was a bartender and manager of a restaurant, and a customer came in who owned his own broker business. He took me aside and said he thought it was something I would be good at and there was a job for me if I wanted it.
- I was looking for a change, so I jumped at the chance.
- I got my license and volunteered while I was studying.
[4:49] How long did you volunteer for?
- I volunteered for around 6 months and was an underwriter for about 18 months.
[6:19] What quote has had an impact on your life and business and how do you implement it?
- ‘I work to live; I don’t live to work’ and ‘don’t sweat the small stuff.’
- I set boundaries. This business is so demanding, so it’s easy to work 14-hour days every day.
- I don’t work weekends and I don’t negotiate my morning routine.
- I delegate to my team so I can start the day from a place of peace.
[8:39] What’s the reasoning behind not taking meetings on Mondays?
- Mondays are the busiest days.
- Not having meetings allows me more personal development time and more time to catch up on requests.
[9:35] Tell us about a failure you have experienced and what you learned from it.
- Hiring a team was extremely challenging and took a while.
- I’d never owned a business before, and I don’t think I was compensating correctly in the beginning.
- You get what you pay for.
[12:20] What’s something you’ve changed or improved in your systems?
- We recently implemented more control to the lawyer appointment process.
- Our clients sign a lawyer consent form for information sharing and we have templated emails that we send out with detailed breakdowns of each client.
- I also make recommendations for lawyers and around 80-90% of clients take that recommendation.
- Lawyers communicate directly with us so we can put out any fires.
[15:23] What have you been doing to grow your business?
- I took the 10 Realtors course.
- We are organically growing through past client referrals.
[16;29] I would say that your process is so good that it has led to growth, would you agree?
- We’ve worked at growing and bettering our process for years, and I think this year we nailed it.
[17:44] How do you apply high touch philosophy to your business?
- By controlling the process, we make sure it goes smoothly.
- We will do anything we possibly can for our clints.
[19:48] What’s the one thing holding brokers back from success?
- Not having processes in place.
[20:50] What’s one habit that’s made you successful?
- Positivity and genuine care for people.
[21:40] What internet resource or software tool would you recommend?
- Pipedrive CRM.
[21:51] What book would you recommend?
- Dustan Woodhouse’s Be the Better Broker series.
[22:40] What does your production look like this year?
- We are on track for $60 million.
[23:30] What’s your goal for next year and how do you plan to reach it?
- $80 million.
- I need to put myself out there more and hire at least one more person.
[24:20] If you could go back in time, what advice would you give yourself starting out?
- Get your database in place right away.
[25:44] Any final advice?
- Don’t be afraid to take risks and accept challenges.
Contact Jewels here: https://www.jewelsferris.com
If you’re interested in becoming a deal creator, visit https://www.10loansamonth.com/call/ to find out more.