Today we are joined by Jason Suttie, a mortgage broker based out of Chilliwack, BC. Jason is a member of our 10 Loans a Month program and he joins us to discuss his journey into brokering and the importance of enjoying your work.
Timestamped Show Notes
(click the timestamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[spp-timestamp time="2:05"] What was your path into brokering like?
- I had zero finance experience. Out of college I had a marketing diploma and was bartending.
- I was recruited into life insurance and my father in-law asked me ‘Do you love insurance?’.
- He set me up to meet a broker friend of his and I took a job as his assistant. I’ve now been in the business for 18 years.
[spp-timestamp time="4:18"] How long did you work as his assistant?
- 1 year. I spent another year training assistants and learning the business and products.
- It’s a hard dynamic. In the beginning you are paid more than you’re worth, then you reach a value for dollar level and most people jump ship.
- I believed I owed him for the experience so I was happy to make less than I was worth to help him for a time.
[spp-timestamp time="9:22"] What is a quote that has had an impact on you? How do you implement it in life?
- “Maybe I destroyed the game, or maybe you’re just making excuses.” -Michael Jordan.
- “Don’t wish it was easier, wish you were better.” -Jim Roam.
- I am big on responsibility. I am accountable for everything.
- I don’t dwell on things; I’d rather just take action.
[spp-timestamp time="11:20"] What failures have you had in your career and what lessons did you learn?
- A client was buying a presale, with only 6 months to close. He worked for his family’s business, and the income and company ownership were weird.
- The insurer backed out. We went to the old lender to structure a new deal.
- The financials were pulled and this type of business is notorious for having bad financials.
- I knew I would have to tell the client to sue me because he had removed the subjects.
- The experience gave me confidence – I know as long as I don’t tell you to remove subjects, I am fine.
[spp-timestamp time="16:32"] What changes have you made in your systems to improve your business in the last 12 months?
- Hiring an assistant. It has improved my mindset and alleviates worry. They also hold you accountable for cutting corners.
[spp-timestamp time="18:30"] What improvements have you made to your sales strategies?
- Working with you on the program has helped me to present a great product to realtors. It’s difficult to present a product and add value.
- I used to hate sales calls but now I love them.
- I’ve also worked out a strategy for social media marketing and networking.
[spp-timestamp time="21:06"] What advice would you give to someone starting out in the business?
- Work on your product knowledge.
- Build relationships with lenders.
[spp-timestamp time="25:41"] What’s your biggest takeaway from the 10 Loans a Month program?
- The product and the community.
[spp-timestamp time="27:19"] What is the one thing that is holding back brokers?
- Getting caught in the weeds.
- Not leading.
[spp-timestamp time="28:14"] What are your habits for success?
- Follow ups; There’s always a next step.
[spp-timestamp time="29:11"] What are your favourite software resources/tools?
- A CRM. Automation will change your life.
[spp-timestamp time="29:46"] What book would you recommend everyone read?
- Start with Why by Simon Sinek
[spp-timestamp time="29:51"] If you had $100,000 to invest in your business, what would you do?
- Invest further in my CRM and marketing.
Contact Jason here: https://suttiemortgage.com
If you’re interested in becoming a deal creator, visit https://www.10loansamonth.com/call/ to find out more.