Today we are joined by Sai Lee. Sai started out flipping houses and has flipped 27 in total, leading to a mortgage business of his own. Sai is a client of the 10 Loans a Month program and an extremely dedicated broker. He joins us today to discuss his career journey and how the program has helped him.
This episode is sponsored by Finmo. Finmo is Canada’s fastest growing mortgage origination platform. To find out if Finmo is right for your business visit www.finmo.ca/scott
Timestamped Show Notes
(click the timestamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[2.05] How did you get into the mortgage business?
- I started out as an IT Consultant and gradually transitioned into real estate as an investor/buyer.
- When I tried to keep some of the properties, I was told I didn’t qualify for financing and that spurred me on to make a commitment to learning everything I could about the industry.
[3.40] What quote has had an impact on you and how do you apply it to your business?
- “Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do. So, don’t wish it was easier, wish you were better.” -Jim Rohn.
- The mortgage business is hard, and I approach it with a perspective of thinking about how I can improve.
[4.50] What failures did you have in the early days of your business and what lessons have you learned from them?
- The first few files I had, I pushed too hard and took shortcuts.
- One property was a suitor rental, which I missed.
- Now I know there are no shortcuts and you need to go through all paperwork thoroughly.
[7.00] What do you differently now?
- I get all required documents up front.
- Also, I constantly refine my process. The little things can blow up the file.
[7.48] If you could go back and re-do the first 90 days of setting up your business again, what would you change?
- In the first 30 days I would sit down with my team and have them walk me through files so I could learn the process from start to finish.
- Then I would read Dustin’s Be the Better Broker series and take your course.
[8.45] What is the biggest change you have made to your business in the last 12 months?
- Taking your course. I’ve been busy ever since.
[9.34] How has that impacted your business compared to last year?
- This year I am set up for a great year. Most of my business last year was in the last quarter.
[10.05] What’s been the most surprising thing about the mortgage business for you?
- That a lot of seasoned brokers still don’t have all the answers.
- The industry changes fast.
[11.23] What is the #1 thing holding brokers back from success?
- Who you associate with matters. It’s important to build a positive network.
[12.35] What is your habit for success?
- Picking up the phone and making calls everyday.
[12.55] Was it always easy for you?
- No, and it still isn’t, but it is necessary.
- Seeing the results is how I get motivated.
[14.05] What internet resources or software do you use to make your business better?
[14.32] What book would you recommend?
- Relentless by Tim Grover
[14.50] If you had $100,000 to invest in your business, what would you do?
- Buy a residential space, put my business in there and possibly rent space to lawyers, accountants etc.
Contact Sai here: https://www.mortgageguys.com/
If you’re interested in becoming a deal creator, visit https://www.10loansamonth.com/call/ to find out more.