Today we are joined by Marlon Fernando. Marlon is a top agent with his own agency, Marlon Fernando Mortgage Team. He is a consistent executor and has shaved 4 hours off of his workday. He joins us today to discuss his experiences in making the changes that led to this increase in efficiency.
Timestamped Show Notes
(click the timestamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[spp-timestamp time="1:35"] How did you get into the mortgage business?
- I’ve been a broker for a total of 10 years, 5 of which have been in Toronto.
- I started out at Scotiabank as a call centre agent, then moved up to a financial advisor and was still unsatisfied.
- I love lending and working on financial plans. Banks only offer one product and have stringent qualification rules.
[spp-timestamp time="4:16"] What is a quote that has had an impact on you? How do you implement it in life?
- “The harder I work, the more luck I have.” -Thomas Jefferson.
- It’s the motto of my life. I came to Canada as a refugee and started from zero.
[spp-timestamp time="5:36"] What failures have you had in your career and what were the lessons learned?
- Relying on others and thinking they had my best interests in mind.
- In my previous business I did all the work while my partner reaped the benefits. I learned to work my own way.
[spp-timestamp time="9:32"] What changes have you made in your systems to improve your business in the last 12 months?
- Mapping the customer journey for more clarity.
- Hiring assistants and expanding my staff and delegating to them.
- Streamlining my software to G-Suite and using the HubSpot CRM.
[spp-timestamp time="13:25"] How has that affected the hours you put in?
- I used to work 8am to 11pm. Now I am able to work 8am to 5 or 6pm.
[spp-timestamp time="14:00"] What improvements have you made in lead generation?
- I have always loved talking to clients and I have implemented a better structure with my calls.
[spp-timestamp time="15:25"] Are you a naturally structured person or was it a difficult thing to implement?
- I would say I am a hybrid.
- There are certain routines and structures in my life and work that I have. Implementing structures in brokering took time because it is so different from banking.
[spp-timestamp time="17:40"] If you could re-do the first 90 days of starting your business, what would you change?
- I would reach out to as many people as possible, networking and building a strong circle.
[spp-timestamp time="18:39"] What are your takeaways from the 10 Loans a Month program?
- Recognizing the value of implementing structure in my business.
- Learning the need to adapt to change.
[spp-timestamp time="19:39"] How has your view of Game of Phones changed since you began the program?
- Initially I was skeptical of it.
- After lockdown began, I decided to try it but set my own rules.
- I set a target of 40 calls a day and to utilize my existing database.
[spp-timestamp time="22:03"] What is the one thing that is holding back brokers?
[spp-timestamp time="22:39"] What are some of your favourite resources to use?
- Lender Spotlight.
[spp-timestamp time="23:43"] What book would you recommend everyone read?
- The E Myth by Michael E. Gerber
[spp-timestamp time="24:20"] If you had $100,000 to invest in your business, what would you do?
- I would invest in better digital marketing and utilize my database and email lists more.
If you’re interested in becoming a deal creator, visit https://www.10loansamonth.com/call/ to find out more.