David Ford is a mortgage broker with DLC Canadian Mortgage Experts. He has been a broker for 6 Years and is based out of the greater Vancouver area. He was recently nominated for Young Guns Award from CMP. David doubled his business from $11 million to $26 million in 1 year by setting up a clearly defined sales process. One of his process improvements was to ask for referrals 7 times throughout the loan process. He even asks for referrals on the very first phone with the client.
- Years as a Broker: 6
- Location: Vancouver
- Brokerage: DLC Canadian Mortgage Experts
- Team Size: 1 Assistant unlicensed
I dream my painting, then I paint my dream. – Van Gogh
- He shares some advice on choosing the right mentor
- How he asks for referrals 7 times throughout the mortgage process
- Create a process if you really want to grow
- He has created a 29 page document he shares with first time buyers
- The goal should be to make the file silky smooth
ADVICE FOR NEW BROKERS
- Never Quit
- Use a process right away
- Treat your underwriters and BDM’s well
WHAT I LEARNED
I have set up an intentional reminder system to ask for referrals. I don’t have 7 yet, but I’m working on it. I also created a reminder system called, “Thankful Thursday” basically every week I think of one underwriter who has helped me out and I make sure to say thanks. Occasionally I send a Starbucks card, or an email to their manager. I agree with David sometimes a simple thank you can go a long way.
What one thing are you going to change or improve after listening to this interview?