- Standardize the ordinary and manage the extraordinary
- Survey your clients independently
- Focus on the sales process – all the time
- A successful business person is more persistence than their peers
- Not every client is worth your time
- Don’t outsource your key competency
- Don’t recreate the wheel
- Are you in the advice business, or the rate buy down business?
- Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service by Kenneth Blanchard
- Legendary Service: The Key is to Care by Ken Blanchard
- Connect with Calum on Linkedin
- Follow Calum on Twitter
- Visit Calum’s website
- Join the conversation on Facebook
Calum is a very accomplished Mortgage Broker who has taken a systematic approach to building and growing his mortgage practice.
He shares some great advice on building a team and the challenges of hiring the right people at the right time.
A key takeaway for me was his suggestion to not reinvent the wheel. Someone has already figured out how to solve the problem you are having in your business. Find it and duplicate it.
Years as a Broker: 13
TEAM SIZE: 4
[Tweet “Persistence – Nothing in the world takes the place of persistence. – Calvin Coolidge”]
ADVICE FOR NEW BROKERS
- Swipe and adapt, don’t try to outsmart
- Be purposeful about the company you keep
- Calum, don’t hire people. Get someone else do it for you.
WHAT I LEARNED
Wow! What a great interview. Calum shared with me his post funding survey. I immediately set up a Survey Monkey survey using Calum’s questions. Join our VIP club to get a copy of Calum’s Survey.
What one thing are you going to change or improve after listening to this interview?