We previously interviewed Bernadette on episode 30 of ILMB.
Winner of MPC’s Mentor of the Year award in 2016 and part of the top 35 brokers in all of Canada, Bernadette excels in the industry through a disciplined routine and dedicated work. Beginning her career with Xeva in 2013, she has since built up her business through excellent service and client appreciation events of up to 700 people a few times each year. She also does monthly first-time buyer seminars, averaging 15-20 people per session.
Bernadette shares how her routine has brought her success in brokering. She describes her approach to the business and gives tips for those looking to build up their foundation.
- 13 years in the industry
- Burnaby, BC
- Mortgages by Bernadette & Team (Xeva Mortgages)
- “Education and learning is a huge part of my life. I like sharing what I know. Everyday, I try to make a difference and I make sure somehow, someway, I do.”
- “No doc, no talk… Both our clients and our team’s time is more valuable this way.”
- “Ask yourself how your phone call can make a difference in someone’s life.”
- [2:27] Welcome back! Can you share with us, since we last talked on the show, about what’s working for you now in the business?
- [2:35] Phone calls are the number one way to connect with clients and grow your database.
- [3:27] What have you learned in the last year that you wish you knew sooner?
- [3:35] Knowing more about the recent rule changes before they were implemented would have been helpful.
- [4:15] What is the structure of your team?
- [4:41] Tell us about the importance of bringing documents to a meeting.
- [6:22] What if a client calls you instead of meeting in person?
- [7:39] How many people do you need in a team?
- [8:08] What happens after meeting with a client?
- [8:25] Our underwriter connects with the client after ensuring the necessary documents are in place.
- [9:13] I meet the client again during the signing process.
- [9:21] What things do you do to connect with client’s post-funding and keep the phone ringing?
- [11:01] How does your team assist in connecting with clients?
- [11:38] Prospecting is one of the most difficult parts of the job.
- [12:26] Do you have a pattern in how you call people?
- [13:59] What does your typical morning look like?
- [15:54] What is the first thing you do when arrive at the office in the morning?
- [16:33] Are there any apps or tools you use to further build your business?
- [17:07] How important is your team structure to your success?
- [17:36] How many people make up your team?
- [18:34] Tell us about your monthly first-time buyer seminars.
- [19:39] How many clients have connected through your seminars?
- [21:41] What is something people couldn’t find out about you from Google?
- [22:19] I would love to go back to school and study psychology.
- [22:43] Tell us about your training in Neuro-linguistic programming.
- [25:31] How can people find you online?