]Scott Westlake is a mortgage broker with Denova Group. He started in the industry working for RBC as a mortgage specialist but found the environment to be limiting. In 2003 he co-founded Denova Group & Denova Lending Solutions so he could better serve his clients. Scott talks about how he gets his mailbox to zero, and how his red wine marketing strategy keeps him connected with past clients.
- 10 years in the industry
- Toronto, Ont
- Denova Group (Dominion Lending Centers)
- Work on your business not in your business.
- [4:15] I wanted to keep hiring people, but the bank would not let me.
- [5:30] How did you keep 4 employees busy?
- [10:15] Leaving the bank meant losing the leads they were giving us. But the change in focus led to more flexibility for our clients.
- [12:00] When we started we knew how to sell but didn’t have the processes in place.
- [13:00] Invest in people, not marketing.
- [16:00] If you do something that works; keep doing it.
- [16:25] For every bottle of wine I send to my clients I keep one for myself with the client’s contact information on it. When I drink it, I’m reminded to follow-up with them.
- [18:20] We send out 50 cards a week.
- [19:20] Everyone can do more.
- [19:45] Business networking is crucial to growing your business.
- [20:40] Scheduling time makes you more efficient. On Monday mornings I call my COIs.
- [22:25] I never have an email in my inbox at the end of the week.
- [27:15] If you’re not calling your clients, someone else will be.
- [28:00] Tells a story about using the bank’s mail service.
- [31:00] Work with the right people.
More About Scott
- Website: www.denovagroup.ca
- Email: email@example.com
- Scott on Twitter
- Scott on LinkedIn
- Scott on Facebook